Falen challenged me to share some of the healthy recipes I make this year so here's one I just made and it was great! I would give it an 8/10!
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.