The next time you're bored at work, why not do something productive? Here are five things you can do, including a few that might help advance your career . . .
1. Look into more education or training. If you're bored, it probably means you can handle more responsibility. Improving your work skillset is never a bad idea.
2. Clean up. A clean workplace makes it so much easier to be productive. Plus, it reflects well on your work habits.
3. Network online. It's important to maintain your professional relationships, both inside and outside of the workplace.
4. Check out your benefits and make sure you fully understand them. It's surprising how many people don't really know what their benefits are. Things like making sure you take full advantage of 401K matching.
5. Update your résumé. You never know when you might need a new job. But if you're bored, you might be ready sooner than later. Just make sure your boss doesn't see you working on your résumé or browsing jobs.