Happy Health Dinner Monday!
If you follow me on social media (@TinaRange) you probably know that every week I do healthy dinner with my friend Lauren. This week our schedules were off and we couldn't make it work to cook together. When I post pictures of my food, I get a lot of messages about what I made and where you guys can find the recipes. So this week, I just decided to take you with me!
Check out the video recap and the actual recipe below. I made vegan mac & cheese from Niomi Smart!
RECIPE (SERVES 2)
6 CHERRY TOMATOES, HALVED
1 TSP OLIVE OIL
A PINCH OF DRIED THYME OR ROSEMARY, DEPENDING ON WHICH YOU PREFER
200G (2 CUPS) MACARONI PASTA OF YOUR CHOICE (you can use gluten free)
PINK HIMALAYAN SALT OR SEA SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
½ SMALL BUTTERNUT SQUASH/PUMPKIN (APPROX 250G), PEELED AND CHOPPED
½ SMALL ONION, DICED (you will also need 1 tsp coconut oil to cook the onions in)
40G (1/2 CUP) UNSALTED RAW CASHEW NUTS, SOAKED OVERNIGHT OR FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS
125ML (1/2 CUP) BROWN RICE MILK OR OTHER NON-DAIRY MILK
2 TBSP NUTRITIONAL YEAST
½ TSP WHOLEGRAIN MUSTARD
A PINCH OF GROUND NUTMEG JUICE OF ½ LEMON
1. PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 190°C/ 375°F/ GAS 5.
2. FOR THE ‘CHEESE’ SAUCE, PLACE A SAUCEPAN OF BOILING WATER OVER A HIGH HEAT. SET A LIDDED STEAMER BASKET ON TOP AND STEAM THE SQUASH FOR 15 MINUTES UNTIL SOFT.
3. MEANWHILE PLACE THE TOMATO HALVES ON A BAKING TRAY LINED WITH TIN FOIL. DRIZZLE WITH THE OLIVE OIL, A SPRINKLING OF DRIED THYME OR ROSEMARY AND A PINCH OF SALT AND PEPPER AND ROAST IN THE HOT OVEN FOR 10-15 MINUTES.
4. COOK THE PASTA ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS, DRAIN AND RINSE WITH COLD WATER, TIP BACK INTO THE PAN AND SET ASIDE.
5. PLACE A FRYING PAN OVER A MEDIUM HEAT AND FRY THE ONION FOR THE ‘CHEESE’ SAUCE IN THE COCONUT OIL FOR 5 MINUTES, THEN ADD THE GARLIC AND CONTINUE TO FRY FOR ANOTHER MINUTE.
6. DRAIN THE SOAKED CASHEWS AND ADD TO A HIGH-SPEED BLENDER WITH THE STEAMED BUTTERNUT SQUASH, COOKED ONION AND GALIC AND THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS FOR THE CREAMY SAUCE. BLEND UNTIL TOTALLY SMOOTH.
7. STIR INTO THE COOKED PASTA AND HEAT ON A LOW HEAT FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES TO WARM. SERVE IN BOWLS WITH THE ROASTED TOMATOES ON TOP.
This recipe is from Niomi Smart's cookbook "Eat Smart".