Studies show if you're a miserable jerk most of your life, you probably won't live as long as someone's who's an easygoing optimist. Here's five personality traits that have been linked to living longer:
1. Being conscientious. You think things through and you're thorough about it. You don't take a lot of unnecessary risks.
2. Openness. You're receptive to new concepts and experiences. You keep learning and don't resist change.
3. Emotional stability. If you can figure out how to roll with the punches (instead of freaking out), you'll live longer.
4. Friendliness. People who socialize and stay close with friends tend to live longer.
5. Expressing yourself freely. You don't bottle up your feelings.
Source: Business Insider; photo: Getty Images