The Pioneer Press has put together a list of all the events happening around the Twin Cities to honor Prince one year after his death. Check them out below.
The Main Events:
- What: PRNFamily Presents: Dance on Til’ Dawn
- When: 10:30 p.m. (early entry) and midnight (general admission) April 22
- Where: Metropolitan Ballroom, 5418 Wayzata Blvd., Golden Valley
- Details: Prince’s family members are hosting this late-night party with live music running until 4 a.m. Andre Cymone, Apollonia Kotero, Jill Jones, Jellybean Johnson and Dez Dickerson are among the special guests, with more surprise appearances planned.
- Tickets: SOLD OUT
- Details: universe.com, search for PRNFamily
- What: Celebration 2017
- When: Thursday-April 23
- Where: Paisley Park, 7801 Audubon Road, Chanhassen
- Details: Inspired by a weeklong party Prince hosted at Paisley Park in 2000 during his 42nd birthday, this four-day event boasts “live music, panel discussions and presentations on Prince’s tremendous talent, influence and importance as a composer, musician, producer, live performer and filmmaker.” Three of Prince’s bands — the Revolution, New Power Generation and 3rdEyeGirl — will perform along with the Time. More than 30 musicians, friends and associates will speak.
- Tickets: VIP admission is long since sold out and a limited number of $549 general admission passes are still available.
- Info: officialpaisleypark.com
- What: Memorial Street Party
- When: 5 p.m. April 22
- Where: Seventh Street next to First Avenue in downtown Minneapolis
- Details: On the night Prince died, fans spontaneously descended on the streets outside First Avenue for what turned into a mass public memorial and celebration. The club is doing it again in a more controlled manner, distributing 2,500 free tickets that disappeared quickly.
- Tickets: They’re long gone, although it seems likely plenty of people are going to show up anyway.
- Details: first-avenue.com
- What: First Avenue dance parties
- When: 9 p.m. Friday-April 22, 10 a.m. April 23
- Where: First Avenue, 701 First Ave. N., Minneapolis
- Details: The club is turning purple with two nights of Prince-themed dance parties and a Sunday-morning jam aimed at families.
- Tickets: $10 in advance, $15 at the door for the evening events; $5 for Sunday’s dance party, with free admission for kids.
- Details: first-avenue.com
Photo: Getty Images
Prince Associates in Concert:
Several musicians who played with Prince over the years have booked their own headlining gigs in Twin Cities clubs. They include:
- LP Music, featuring saxophonist Eric Leeds, a member of the Revolution, the Family and Madhouse; 7 p.m. Wednesday; Dakota Jazz Club, 1010 Nicollet Ave., Minneapolis; $15; 612-332-1010 or dakotacooks.com.
- Shelby J, a vocalist in the New Power Generation; 10 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday; Dakota Jazz Club; $60-$40; 612-332-1010 or dakotacooks.com.
- Jesse Johnson, guitarist for the Time; 9:30 p.m. Thursday-April 22; Bunkers, 761 Washington Ave. N., Minneapolis; $30; 612-332-3904 or bunkersmusic.com.
- Lizz Wright, who Prince saw live at the Dakota two nights before his death; 7 p.m. Thursday; Dakota Jazz Club; $60-$50; 612-332-1010 or dakotacooks.com.
- Morgan James, a favorite vocalist of Prince’s, and Andy Allo, a New Power Generation vocalist/guitarist; 7 and 9:30 p.m. April 22; Dakota Jazz Club; $35-$25; 612-332-1010 or dakotacooks.com.
Nightclub Prince Tribute Nights:
- Jaybee and the Routine, playing the music of Prince; 9:30 p.m. Friday; Minnesota Music Cafe, 449 Payne Ave., St. Paul; free; 651-776-4699 or minnesotamusiccafe.com.
- Deep Purple: A Tribute for the Heads, a DJ night of Prince and Prince-inspired tunes; 9 p.m. Friday; 7th Street Entry, 29 Seventh St. N., Mpls.; $20-$18; 612-332-1775 or first-avenue.com.
- All 12 Inches: Prince Edition, a DJ night featuring extended remixes; 10 p.m. Friday; Clubhouse Jager, 923 Washington Ave. N., Mpls.; $5; 612-332-2686 or clubjager.com.
- Thee Beautiful Ones Dance Party, with two of Prince’s DJs; 9 p.m. April 22; Five Event Center, 2917 Bryant Ave. S., Mpls.; $20-$15; vitalculture.com (search for Thee Beautiful Ones).
- The Purple Party, featuring G Sharp and the Bizne$$; 9:30 p.m. April 23; Lee’s Liquor Lounge, 101 Glenwood Ave., Mpls.; $20-$10; 612-338-9491 or leesliquorlounge.com.