1. Garfield – This curmudgeony cat has entertained us since 1978 when he started in the comics. He graduated to TV and and his internal dialogue isn’t heard by his owner but the reader gets to hear all his wry observations.
2. The Aristocats – These lovable cats let us into the world of fancy cats in this Disney movie in 1970. Rumor has it they’re planning a sequel.
3. Si and Am – The Siamese breed saw a raise in popularity after Lady and the Tramp in 1955. Si and Am played themselves as the quintessential clever, selfish, slightly-evil cat but they were really just a couple of softies.
4. Puss-in-Boots – This talking cat liked to have fun and word has it that he was the practical joker on the set. Puss-in-Boots in Shrek 2 2004, proved that a cartoon cat can play a more complex character
5. The Cat in the Hat – Dr. Seuss was known for memorable, outrageous characters and his cat in the hat lived up to it. This cat really showed the mischievous side of the feline and reminds us how much trouble, and fun, cats can be.
6. The Cheshire Cat – Alice in Wonderland has many creative characters but the Cheshire Cat rises above them all – literally and figuratively. His crafty and sly demeanor captured our cats’ personalities very well but we’ll probably never know what he was smoking.
7. Salem – The cat on T.V.’s “Sabrina” always seemed to have a crick in his neck and a wise crack for Sabrina.
8. Sylvester the cat
9. Sassy from Homeward Bound
10. Thackery Binx from Hocus Pocus