No matter how clean you eat and how dirty you train, losing that last bit of belly fat can seem nearly impossible. Here's a few things to consider if you can't shed that pesky tummy flab:
1. You're too stressed. "Stress-related adrenal hormones increase your body's susceptibility to storing any extra calories around your belly," says Dr. Georgie Fear.
2. You only do ab exercises. Spot training doesn't work. Dr. Albert Matheny says while it's great to build muscle, it won't burn fat on top of the muscle to reveal it.
3. You eat a lot of processed foods. According to BMJ Journal, 90 percent of the average Americans' intake of added sugar is from processed, high-sugar foods.
4. Maybe it's not fat. It could be bloat. If so, it might make sense to eat high-fiber foods that can help you properly digest.
5. You don't eat enough protein. In one study of 90 women, those who ate more protein lost more weight and cut more belly fat.
Source: Women’s Health/ Photo: Getty Images