New York Times bestseller Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage and Manners is a scandalously honest guide to the secrets of Victorian womanhood, detailing countless WTF beliefs about women in the 19th century:
- People thought women could only experience an orgasm from sperm.
- It was believed that if a woman had sex in any position other than on her back, she would develop fungal growth in her fallopian tubes, which would lead to cancer, and, eventually, death.
- Women thought the best way to stay clean was to bathe in ammonia.
- Women used to tie meat around their faces to prevent wrinkles.
- Freckles were considered an impurity and were burned off with acid or ultraviolet radiation.
- A woman’s irregular and painful period was seen as a result of her terrible personality.
- In order to achieve the 'perfect' bosom, women rubbed cold water on their breasts to stimulate blood flow.
Source: BuzzFeed/ Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage and Manners; photo: Getty Images