This is not my recipe. It's fromrasamalaysia.comand it's SO good.
I personally like to add a small chopped yellow onion and cook it a bit before I add the garlic and serve the fried rice with sliced cucumbers.
- Use overnight steamed rice that had been kept in the fridge. The grain of overnight rice is drier and not starchy and sticky like freshly made steamed rice. This will ensure that your fried rice is soft and fluff and not lumpy.
- The next time you dine out at Chinese restaurants or takeouts, ask for extra steamed rice to go with your order. Keep the rice in the refrigerator and the next morning, you will have overnight that is perfect for this recipe.
- Break up the lumpy overnight steamed rice with the back of the spoon or fork.
- All ingredients should be cut into uniform pieces: spam and mixed vegetables. This will make sure that everything cooks evenly.
- Cook the eggs before you fry the rice. This will ensure that the eggs are formed into nice and regular pieces.
- Use a wok (preferred) or a skillet on high heat. Keep stirring and frying the rice in a back and forth motion with a spatul, flipping and tossing with the ingredients.
- 3 cups overnight steamed rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz spam, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thaw and defrost
- salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- Break up the lumpy overnight rice with the back of the spoon or fork, or with your hand. Mix all the ingredients for the Seasonings in a small bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a wok over high heat and cook the eggs first. Use the spatula to break the eggs into small pieces. Set aside. Reheat the wok with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and stir-fry the garlic until aromatic. Add the spam pieces and stir-fry until light brown before adding the mixed vegetables. Stir to combine well.
- Add the rice into the wok and use the spatula to stir-fry continuously until the all the ingredients are well blended. Add the Seasonings into the wok, blending it well with the rice and ingredients. Return the cooked eggs into the wok and combine with the rice. Dish out and serve immediately.